Monday, October 26, 2009

Mommy Time Out

Today was cold and dreary. I was feeling under the weather so the girls and I didn't do much not to mention that today my patience had flown out the window. I felt like every time I turned around I was yelling at them telling them to do things five hundred times...."Stop jumping on the couch." "Don't eat in the playroom." "Shut the door, it is cold." "Go brush your teeth!! NOW!" I was at my wits end when Craig walked through the door. I announced that I was going to Starbucks to read, pay bills (YUCK), and return some emails....I needed a break. Well, one thing turned into another and I didn't go to Starbucks for peace and quiet. I spoke to my mom and sweet niece on Skype and watched her eyes light up when she saw Addie and Rae. The three of them were so excited to see each other. It was sweet. Kings told me all the animal sounds that she knows and Addie showed off her monster jammies. Rae played peek a boo via Internet and they all had fun. When all was said and done and we said goodnight and "hung up" it was time for the monkeys to hit the sack. Ahhhh, finally! Craig took bedtime while I painfully paid bills and returned some emails. At one point I looked up at him from across the living room (with Monday Night football BLARING in the background) and I felt a calmness come over me thankful that I have someone to lean on when things get overwhelming. I realized that we all need timeouts. Addie girl does when it all just gets to be too much for her. Rae does to decompress and be quiet for little while. She actually asks for alone time in her room. Tonight, I thought, "What is so wrong with me needing the same thing." My whole adult married life I have been minutes from friends and family. If I needed a break I just called someone and asked them to come play with the monkeys or asked if I could drop them off. This is the first time as a Momma that I don't have that. So, in turn I am going to have to take my own time outs. I give full permission to my girls and my husband to send me to my room when I am grumpy and out of sorts. In fact, I think I welcome it. It is important that we take time out for ourselves. A fellow Momma once told me that it is so important that we "fill our cups" because as Moms, we are constantly giving...to our kids, our husbands, our communities, on and on. It is our nature to nurture others, but sometimes we forget to nurture ourselves. Tonight I am pouring myself a cup of tea and settling down with a book. It may not be long before my eyes get heavy with sleep, but for the few minutes that I am in time out..I will savor it and "fill my cup" for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment