Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Forget Him Not

Today was the last day of school before Fall Break for Rae, so we were a little more relaxed with our schedule today. Rae informed me that she would like to start a leaf collection that she wants to diplay on shelves with the leaves in jars. (I know...I have no idea where that came from!) She suggested that we go leaf collecting this afternoon, so when it warmed up that is exactly what we did. I decided to bring my camera to take some fall pictures of the girls. Sometimes it takes looking through a lens to really see what needs to be focused on. For example, seeing the curiousness in Addie's expression when she realized that no two leaves are the same or Rae's excitement in piling up a ton of leaves only to jump in them. There are some days that I am clicking away and don't even realize how magical something was to the girls or how beautiful something truly is until I look back through the pictures. We were out there for a while until (of course) Rae stepped in dog poop and we trudged back home. We ate dinner later and put the girls to bed later just because we could and Craig and I snuggled on the couch to watch Top Chef (I am hooked! Robin should have gone home...but anyway!) Craig and I never have time to just lay around and hang out together without, "Mom, I gotta go pee pee!" or "She hitted me!" So, tonight we relished it. We teased each other and made each other laugh. I love my husband.

Although I am a stay at homer and we have done a great deal of editing obligations, our life is still busy. I hate to admit it, but there are times that I didn't realize how much I missed him until we are alone. I think when you have kids they take up so much of your time and attention that everything else winds up simmering on the back burner. Craig asked me tonight what I thought I was going to write about and I said I didn't know. I told him that the kids said so many funny things that I really had to think about it. Like Addison finally figuring out what commercials were really all about and running out every 2 minutes to tell me, "Mommy, I pway with Bawrbie on the TV. I want dat." I would say, "Ok!" and she would run out of the room and yell, "See ya yater!" Goofy kid. Craig was quiet for a second and then mentioned that I never really wrote about him. I thought about it and realized he is right. My focus is so much on the Monkeys that he gets lost in the shuffle. What I forget is that my Monkeys are here because I fell in love with him to begin with. When I had Rae someone told me that I should remember to put my husband first and then my children. It kind of ticked me off. I thought...he is a grown up and can take care of himself, she is tiny sweet baby who can't. Whatever! Well, what I soon figured out was that my relationship with Craig is the first example that my children have of so many things. Love, companionship, respect, trust, honor...just to name a few. If we don't nurture our relationship, then our family will fall apart. The bond that Craig and I have is what holds us all together. Not the bond we have with our children...that comes with ease. A marriage takes time and work...not bad work...good work that involves learning so much and that eventually turns us into the people we are meant to be. Craig had me laughing so hard tonight that I actually fell of the couch. As I hit the floor laughing so hard I could pee and trying to catch my breath I thought...today he gave me my Laughable Moment. Tonight as I am writing this I am realizing that maybe he could give me more if I looked up from the puzzle or board game just long enough to catch his eye and smile at him...just so he knows that I didn't forget about him. Momma's, trust me...your kids are tucked in safely...go kiss your husband and tell him you love him. It might just be the best part of his whole day.

No comments:

Post a Comment