Thursday, October 22, 2009

Perfectly Painted Pumpkins

Rae had her first school field trip today with her school. They went to Valley Farms Pumpkin Patch and Addie Grace and I were allowed to tag along. Addie dressed appropriately for the chilly rainy day in jeans and pumpkin shirt and of course a tutu (which got a couple of stairs, but whatever). Although it did rain lightly, we took a hayride, played in a barn maze, had a snack, and they picked perfectly round pumpkins. It was such a wonderful fall day. The trees were gorgeous and the leaves were falling...nothing like it. Made for some wonderful stories at dinner tonight after Craig got home.

Craig started to ask Rae about her day and what her favorite part was. Rae talked and talked and told every tiny detail of every little thing. She was so excited to be the center of attention. Then Craig asked her who her best friend was at school and she said, "Nafaniel" (Nathaniel , by the way).
He said, "What does he look like."
"Well, daddy, he is light brown." Ummm, yes you read right.
Craig, trying not to laugh, said, "Who else is your friend?"
She said, "Well, Trinity is."
"What does she look like?"
"Daddy, she is kind of peach." Craig couldn't hold it in any longer so he starts to smile and laugh and asks her what she thinks he looks like...you guessed it, the answer?...peach.
"What about you Rae?"
"DAD! We are all just peach....ummm except Nafaniel. He is light brown"

Enjoying a good laugh at dinner had me thinking of how rare these moments are for so many families. Enjoying fellowship with family around the dinner table just talking about your day. The best part about it? Seeing the world through their eyes even if it is just for the duration of dinner. I experienced everything she did today with her, but the way she told the story was not at all how it seems to me...it was so much better. Tonight, I looked back through the pictures I took of today and I paid attention to the details and I saw her excitement, her joy, her happiness...and I felt it too. Today I too stopped to smell the roses, well the pumpkins, and enjoyed the day with childlike eyes. Laughable moments can sometimes lead you to realization, so pay attention and listen to your sweet baby's stories...not their words...the color they put in their words to paint their picture of the day. Enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment