Saturday, October 24, 2009

Step By Step

I took a day off from writing yesterday, but believe me that doesn't mean that it wasn't eventful. Rae had her Fall party at school yesterday and because I am an over-achiever mom, I am Co Room Mom with another Momma and we had to plan their party. Craig had the day off also so he was able to come and bring Addie Grace. It was so much fun. All the kids were dressed up, even Addie Grace was in her Bumblebee "Pincess dess" (her words, not mine). They played a game and ate a sugary snack and I planned a craft for them (that later Craig called weird, but whatever they are 5). After that they had a Kindergarten parade down the halls of the school. When Rae's teacher (who is as cute as a button) asked all the kids to line up, Addie fell into place with the rest of them. I didn't have the heart to pull her out so I just let her go. Addie walked in front of Rae and the entire way. For the parade's entirety, Rae had her hands resting gently on Addie's shoulders sweetly guiding her every move...turn here, stop, walk a little faster. And Addie Grace just let Rae lead her with ease. It was so neat to witness. Here was this 2 year old walking with 5 year olds through student, parent, and teacher lined halls..I mean it was packed and loud from laughter and applause. All the while, Rae steered her with such sweetness and grace. She was taking such good care of Addie and protecting her, and keeping her on course through it all. It did a Momma's heart good to see that.

In a five minute Kindergarten parade, Addie and Rae demonstrated something, that is so hard for adults, with such an ease. I was just talking to my husband yesterday about my struggle to give up control...even if it wasn't my job to begin with. When you hear people talking about "walking with childlike faith", this is what they are talking about. Addie Grace had faith in her sister to not steer her wrong and to guide her every move in a place that she was not familiar with. Think about that for second...think about what that may mean to you. What was meant to be silly fun turned into something so much more for those that may have been paying attention. Momma's we cannot do it all...we aren't meant to, and admitting that is not a sign of weakness and/or inferiority. It is just the plain honest truth. What I have realized since moving to MO is that I,not only, can't do everything, but I don't want to anymore. Before we moved, it was social obligation after social obligation and if I said no I felt terribly guilty. But here I decided that for a while there will be no soccer practice, no ballet class, no at home party hosting or attending, no volunteering, no nothing...just me, my time, and my family. You know what? I have seen my kids more relaxed with more smiles and louder laughter than I can remember. Momma's erase the date book, turn your cell phones off, and by all means just take a deep breath. Remember what guides you down your straight and narrow and say no to everything else. Because in the long run...you will wind up with more time, more contentment, and of course more Laughable moments. Hug your babies a little longer tonight...I think we can schedule that in.

No comments:

Post a Comment