Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Mannerly Monkey Mishap

My morning started at 2:56 am. I walked in the dark with my eyes closed to the bathroom and went to sit down and SPLOOSH! There I am with my knees next to my ears and I am stuck. What to do? Scream to wake up my husband to yell at him about his misplaced manners and risk waking up the sleeping monkeys which then in turn means that I will NEVER get back to sleep...OR...face the music and wriggle my wet bottom from the toilet bowl on my own. I chose to go it alone. The whole time I kept thinking, "Where are his manners!!? How gross!? He lives with all girls, COME ON already!" I was mad. What a way to wake up. Eeeww!

The rest of the day was a cake walk. I got Rae off to school (on time which is a feat in itself) and ran all my errands with Princess Addie Grace. We were walking into Hobby Lobby when she said, "Mommy, what's you name?" I said, "Mommy!" She said, "Noooo! You Mommy Sheffield!" This game went on for like 20 minutes. Finally, the last time she asked me I said, "Joe!" She said, "No thank you Mommy. You not Joe. You just Mommy." She says the weirdest things! But what I did notice was how polite she said, "No thank you." It made me feel so proud. When we left the checkout counter, she said out of the blue, "Thank you, Have a good day!" to the checkout girl. What in the world was with her! It kept going all through the day, "Excuse me, Mommy Sheffield." "Please" "Thank you" Even, "Yes Ma'am, Mommy Sheffield." It made me realize how consistency really does pays off. We are always reminding our girls to use their manners and they will correct themselves if need be. But, to have them use their manners unprompted is an entirely different thing all together. Maybe if I consistently remind my sweet husband to put the seat down, I will keep a dry hiney. Addie's manner's even shined when she glued postcards to my wood dining room table. "Sowry, Momma...I will help you keen up." Sometimes, even in what I call a "Monkey Mishap", we have to remember to pull out the things to praise. So even as I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed to get glued postcards of my dining room table, I made sure to say..."Addie Grace, thank you for using your manners." She danced away and in a sing song voice hollered out, "You wo-come, Mommy Sheff-ield!!" I just laughed as I thought, "I choose this to be my Laughable Moment today."

No comments:

Post a Comment