Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Do over...

I read an article in some parenting magazine that a fun way to snap your kids out of a funky mood in the morning is to tell them that they must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed and send them back for a do over. That way they can get out of bed on the other side and the day can start again. Ummmm, that DOES NOT work.
My sweet and polite girl, Rae, hit a rock wall today. She was nasty to her sister, was back-talking, and was just down right rude. She was scolded on the way home from school, at nap time, at snack time...you name it she was in trouble. Then we went to get the mail and the girls got a package from their Nanny. Packages come pretty regularly since we have moved, but they are always a pleasant surprise. I handed Rae the package to open in the car and distribute (since she is a name reading fool these days!). They were excited and pleased and the car got quiet as they looked through their goodies. Out of nowhere Rae says to me, "Mommy, I am sorry no one ever send packages to you. When I get home I will make you something to make your heart happy." There she was! The girl I know and love! I said thank you and said that I appreciated her thoughtfulness. After that it was like something clicked. She was kind to her sister, using her manners with Craig and I, and was being very pleasant. It made me think maybe she just needed some love. Don't we all? I realized that on our grumpiest of days, maybe we all just need a hug or a kind word. Kids have the funniest way of reminding us to get back to basics. No matter what our age is it always feels good to be thought of. The nicest thing anyone can do for me is to do some of the simplest things, because at that moment I know they thought of me. You know that saying, "It is the thought that counts." It is so true. So, maybe when our paths cross with someone who is less that kind to us or our kids are acting out for no apparent reason maybe we should just reach out to them. Now, don't go huggin' strangers because that might not get the reaction you are hoping for!
Tell you what, the next time Rae is being a brat or maybe Craig for that matter...I am hugging the snot out of them. You never know...your grumpy moment (after a good huggin') may just become your Laughable Moment! MO hugs comin' atcha!

1 comment: