Yesterday Craig had some errands to run in the morning so the girls and I just hung out around the house with plans to go to the park later that afternoon. The girls were playing in their playroom and of course made a huge mess. I walked in the room and told them if they did not clean up then we were not going to the park. I went back into the living room to do a couple of things and the next thing I knew it was completely quiet. I sat for a minute and pondered going in there to check on them, but I though...Nope, I asked them once and they need to figure it out. About ten minutes later, Rae comes walking in and opens the closet door to get the vacuum cleaner and without a word wheels it into the playroom. I hear it turn on and I fight the urge to check on them again. I hear it turn off and watch her wheel it back into the closet with the cord wrapped up nicely and close the door. She knows that after lunch at about 2 I give them a snack. She walked into the kitchen and saw that the clock said 2:13, opened the pantry door and got out a package of popcorn. I am sitting there quietly watching all this and she is not saying a word to me...not asking me to do anything or for anything. Rae puts the popcorn in the microwave (standing on her step stool that she drug into the kitchen to reach) and pushed the "2" for two minutes, reached into the cabinet for our popcorn bowl and waited patiently for the microwave to beep. When it did, she opened the door and waited for the bag to cool, then opened the bag and poured it into the bowl and called for Addison to come into the kitchen for her snack. Are you kidding me!!? I said, "Rae, Momma would have done that for you." She said, "I know, Momma, but I am a big girl and reponsible (that is not a typo :) ) and I can do it myself." I said, "Well, I guess you don't need me anymore." She smiled up at me with those big brown eyes and her long blond hair spilled over her shoulders and said to me, "Mom, I still need you...I can't reach the tall cabinets" I let out a sigh and laughed, saying that I was glad she still needed me for that.
We all are raising our children to be strong and independent...it starts at birth when people tell us to not pick them up so much or to let them cry themselves to sleep to self soothe. I listened to all the baby books and let them have their space like the articles said, but now we are watching the independence happening...I don't think I like that so much!! They are only so small for so long. Don't get me wrong...I am proud of her and think she is turning out to be such a sweet and caring person (we will have to see about that Addie girl), but she is only five years old. Today, Craig and I had a busy day planned for the girls. Rae completely got herself ready to go...all by herself! We went to a neighboring city and took the girls to see an art sculpture, the park, and then to the mall for some early Christmas shopping. I watched Rae push the stroller and look at the things she liked and it hit me. She is becoming the little girl we are raising her to be...independent and strong. My little girl is becoming the self sufficient tiny lady that we have been shooting for. So, instead of missing her baby days or pining for the days when she needed me to pick out her clothes, I should be celebrating our hard work and her very own Independence day. Besides...she still needs me to drive her around, at least for now. Mommas take lots of pictures, write down their funny sayings, video them often....because before you know it they are making their own popcorn....figuratively speaking of course.
No comments:
Post a Comment