Monday, October 19, 2009

Bedtime Mayhem

When Craig does bedtime it is all out craziness. Tickling, uncontrollable wiggling, screaming, yelling, running...and something that we call the Giggletoots. Now I know this sounds just gross, but my sweet and adorable little girls have a smelly secret. They could be hot air balloons! It all starts with a ridiculous amount of laughing, then (by accident...well maybe not) someone toots. Well then they laugh harder which leads to, you guessed it, more tooting. It is gross but the sounds of their hard belly laughs (no matter what it is that they are laughing at) does a Momma good. I love to hear it! Actually just seeing them be happy feels so good. Craig had said to me last weekend, while watching Addie and Rae skip through the playground, "Wouldn't it be great if we could do that with out looking ridiculous? I would love to just skip everywhere." He will probably kill me for quoting him, but he is right. There is a quote from a popular movie that I love. The guy in the movie is watching his kids play at the park and he says, " I wish I liked anything as much as kids like bubbles." I love this quote because it is so true. When do we as adults lose the joy of simple everyday things? I watched Addie and Rae catch ladybugs today for almost 45 minutes. Catching ladybugs! It was like the best part of the day for them. I was keeping an eye on them while working on the computer for a fundraiser at Rae's school and making volunteer phone calls. And when Addie ran in with a ladybug on her finger I told her to shush because I was on the phone. I stopped for a second and thought, "I would much rather catch ladybugs than doing this." So I hung up the phone and caught about 4! Woohooo! Addie's ladybug flew off her finger and landed on her nose and I thought she was going to freak out, but she didn't. She looked up at me with her big green eyes and smiled a sweet smile. She stood there for a minute or so while it walked across her face and giggled because it tickled. The ladybug flew away and all I could think was, " I am so glad I hung up the phone to share that with her." The look of pure delight on her face and the happiness on Rae's face made me realize that life is made up of those moments. The tiny ones, that if we are too busy, we will miss all together and not even realize it. Mommas, put down the phone, the computer, the bills, and notice what brings your sweet baby pure and simple joy. It may just give you your Laughable Moment.

1 comment:

  1. GREAT advice!!! And I'm sure that may be a day that your girls will look back on when they get older and truly appreciate it

    ReplyDelete