The past day or so has been exhausting. In less that 24 hours my husband and 2 sweet children have gotten very sick. Addie bounced back today after her shot of steroids yesterday, while Craig and Rae circled the drain. The reason I am so sure about this is because of the run she gave me! Whew! After lunch today, I laid the girls down for nap and told Craig I was going to the grocery store. That was the extent of my outings today. When I got home everyone was awake and doing a little better. Craig was definitely out for Trick or Treating, but the girls still had hope. A few hours later, the meds wore off and Craig and Rae were out for the count in the living room. I was on the phone with my mom when I walked into the hallway and saw Addie Grace naked standing on top of a diaper box chewing something. I asked her what she was chewing and she said, "Oh, I just giving dis to you, Momma. There you go!" She spit out the rubber cap from the end of a door stop. I got on to her and she apologized. I walked into the room to put the rubber cap back on and hanging on the door stop was the top to Craig's chap stick we couldn't find. It made me laugh. Then I was walking into my room and saw that she hung her cup upside down on the handle of my vacuum so now the handle was all sticky. I called her in there, of course she is still naked, and reminded her that cups and drinks belong in the kitchen and asked her for the millionth time in her 2 year old life to put some stinkin' clothes on. She apologized again. Like I believe her anymore, but I love her so I go with it. She disappeared for a minute, hopefully to listen and cover up...she sure did listen. She came out with a shirt on backwards and my underwear on (clean ones by the way!) and singing, "Momma, I got yowr big giwrl panties on!" She is nuts!! I laughed so loud. I mean what more could she do? It had only been 10 minutes ago that I caught her with the rubber cap! I changed her clothes and came into the living room to check my email. Addie was in her playroom playing with her toys...or so I thought. A few minutes later she came walking out singing to me, "Momma, I painted my fingewrnels (fingernails)." She showed me her hands and she had colored something black all over her fingers. I asked her a series of questions and got her typical "oh no I am in trouble" answer. "What is on your fingers? Where did you find it? Where is it now?" Addie's answer...."I unnow" complete with a shoulder shrug. Awesome!! She finally caved and brought me a Sharpie! What the heck!? At that point I could either get really mad or laugh uncontrollably. I chose to laugh. She was bored! Here it is Halloween and we can't do anything. No candy, no costume, no pumpkin, no trick or treating. I hugged her and told her that I loved her so much. She laughed and said, I yuv you too, Momma"
When Rae woke up she was feeling a little better, but Craig was worse. He could even carve her tiny pumpkin with her, which was a father daughter tradition for them. Thank goodness we had gone to the pumpkin patch with school or they wouldn't have had pumpkins at all. Earlier today she drew a stencil of a face for her pumpkin and laid out a butter knife, paper towels, and tape for their pumpkin date. But Craig just wasn't up for it. He apologized to Rae saying he was sorry that this Halloween wasn't as much fun. She said, "Dad, it will still be fun. Momma can carve my pumpkin with me (which I have not done since I was a kid) and we can wear our costumes in here and knock on the doors in our house for candy." It was so sweet. She made the best of out of a yucky situation. She said it so sweetly that I could have cried. I said that I thought that was a great idea. So I carved my first pumpkin in like 12 years, dressed up my sweet girls in their costumes, and hid behind different doors with a bowl of candy while they closed their eyes. They would knock on each door until they found me. I would open up and they would yell...Trick or Treat!! It actually was fun. I filled up their little bags and then Rae wanted to tell ghost stories. So we turned of most of the lights and sat in the living room while Rae held up a flashlight to her mouth and told the funniest scary stories. They included a story about toots, her sister, and then finished up with her laughing so hysterically at herself that she started in with giggletoots and we all couldn't help ourselves but to laugh too...even Craig on his death bed laughed pretty hard. Everyone is drugged up and asleep in their beds now and I am hiding out from Camp Germ in my living room. Even though we didn't venture out today it was still fun and full. Looking out the back door I can see Rae's tiny pumpkin glowing with its crooked grin. Here is a five year old little girl deciding to make the best of something that she couldn't control. Kids are so smart and aware even when we think they are not. Watching her help Addie into her costume and checking on Craig to see if he was feeling okay warmed me to the core. Although, I am her mom I have a lot to learn from her. In her tiny little life no one person has taught me so much about compassion and forgiveness as my Rae. I am so thankful for the small things in life that let her shine. Being sick on Halloween and not being able to participate is like a kid's worst nightmare, but she turned it into one of my favorite Halloween memories. We should find delight in the small things that a change of plans brings us and enjoy it. Like my scary stories tonight, it may lead to your hardiest Laughable Moment yet.
Oh my sweet Alicia...God is working in Mo! I love you and I love God! While you are getting your RN taking care of the sick little goblins, we welcomed home the honeymooners, I got over my tummy ache, celebrated Kaitlin's 8th birthday after church today and continued to make sure our 4 newborn puppies got enough milk from their "girly girl-miss priss Yorkie Mama"! She had to have a C-Section yesterday. We never have a dull moment do we? I would die of boredom if life were dull. I love you sweet friend of mine--thank you for blessing me......still
ReplyDelete