Wednesday, February 3, 2010

You can just call me Mom!

Lately I have found myself trying to remember what my name is and who exactly I am. In FL, I had my things that were familiar...my friends, my church, my community, and my job that I loved. I could define myself a variety of different ways and with different titles. Since moving to MO, and "downsizing" my life...I find myself known as Craig's wife, the new girl, or better yet...Rae and Addie's mom. Ummmm....'scuse me, but I thought I had a name!?

My days are full of laundry, bathing little monkeys, chasing, wiping noses and hineys, and cooking among LOTS of other "chorely" duties. When I am in a room with Craig's co workers, I am Craig's wife. When I am at a PTO meeting, I am known as Rae's mom. At MOPS, I may be called the "new girl". All these things I most definitely am, however I feel that moving here has me looking for a different way to define myself like I did in FL.

The past two or three days I have talked to my mom a few times and my old boss, who I adore! I had said to both of them, in one way or another, that I was so used to always being on the go and being involved in so much that lately I am just...for lack of a better word...bored. And they both said the same thing, being the seasoned mothers that they are...this how it was meant to be so that I can focus on the girls. In my mind, I am saying...yeah, yeah, yeah...blah blah blah, I already know this, but I am still bored.

Yesterday, I woke up, fed the girls, got Rae of to school...same routine, different day. After the girls' nap, I walked into my room and looked at the HUGE pile of laundry that had been staring at me for days and thought...well, nothing better to do. So, I might as well fold the stinkin' stuff. I brought the computer in and turned up the radio. In minutes, what was once tedious laundry folding became a dancing laundry folding party complete with guests...in the form of two tiny and sweet girls. The bed turned into a trampoline and two wool scarfs became a magic carpet that included drop off service to the kitchen where I cooked with top notch knee high chefs. The girls were giggling and smiling, even Addie's imaginary friends joined us. It was a full house!

Later that night after my magic carpet flying, dancing, jumping chefs were bathed and tucked in and my husband's belly was full of our "gourmet" dinner, I was cleaning up the kitchen and thought, What a fun day! And to think that I would have missed it if I had had my normal busy running around FL life. I should revel in the fact that people know me here by the things that are the most important to me and that I want to define me.

So, if you see me around town...whether in FL or MO...feel free to call me MOM or even Craig's wife...because those, my friend's, are what I am most proud to be.

*****BTW...a little side note about Addie's potty training... SO NOT HAPPENING! She told me this afternoon that there is a scary man that will pinch her mooney cheeks if she poops in the potty. Where does this kid come up with this stuff? I am currently still holding all "pwincesses" hostage until further notice...well until further poop!

No comments:

Post a Comment