All week long he researched different snowboards, "How To" tips on some tricks he wanted to try, he even went as far as looking for places to live in CO just in case the Olympic selection team was visiting MO and caught a glimpse of my "Shawn White"-esque husband.
Finally the day had come! Snowy winter enjoyment was to be had by all members of our family. The morning started out by he and I getting into an argument about how slow I was in getting ready. Now, I must pause here for just a moment. Momma's reading this....I would like to know when do we as mom's ever just have to just get ourselves ready? We have to pack snacks, pick out our clothes, our children's clothes, find the crap our husbands misplace or do not put away so we had to, so on and so forth. That was my explanation on why it takes me longer to "get ready". I have all that other stuff to do. So in all his grumpiness and his "Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!" we left without my purse which had all our spending money in it....which we did not realize until we were on the Interstate. This infuriated him! We started arguing about whose fault it was and that eventually ended in hysterical laughter because we sounded like dorks. Addie G yells from her car seat, "You no fighting Mommy and Daddy. I put you in a chiangle choke!" (triangle choke...I have NO idea where that came from)
We finally get there and get everyone situated. I go up with Rae on the lift first and Craig takes Addie in for lunch. When we finished we went down to eat and Craig went up alone to (in his words mind you) "Take it off some sweet jumps!"
The day goes on and we each take turns going up and keeping Addie. Rae had taken a lesson and was doing really well. Addie was tired so I took her into the lodge and she fell asleep on my lap for a good hour. After Rae's lesson, Craig comes walking in with her and I notice his face. He looks like he was punched in the face. When he sat down I asked him what happened. His response..."Took it off to many sweet jumps!" He took his hood off and he had a bruised cheekbone and a little blood where he had scraped his face on the ice and snow. My mouth must have dropped open because he looked at me and smiled. He said he was calling his face "progression".
That day Rae must have rode the kiddie lift 100 times. A few times she even asked us if we "wanted to take some runs with her" Funny girl! I took a bunch of pictures and at one point, looking through my camera lens, I noticed her turn to a little girl and smile a big confident smile. It made me tear up with some proud Momma tears! In that moment I realized what this day had truly meant for her. It was just about her. Something that only she could do with mom or dad. No sharing, so competing for time...just her and I or her and Daddy.
It was one of those days that your heart swelled with pride because you knew that she had had a wonderful and memorable time and that you as her Momma was there to witness it and notice how much she needed it. Momma's we all need to carve out time for that one on one. That time where there are no distractions and it is just about you, your little girl (or boy), and the simple joys in life...even if it comes with some scrapes and bruises. Because, even when we are given them in life, they are still just called "progression" anyway...right?
No comments:
Post a Comment