Saturday, February 20, 2010

Nerd Snort

Two words you do not want to hear from your child in the same sentence..."stuck" and "nose"

A few evenings ago while I was in the kitchen cooking dinner my sweet and "always well-behaved" children were quietly playing on the living room floor and looking through Rae's Valentine loot. All seemed right with the world...until...."Mom, I have a nerd stuck up my nose!" My 5 year old was standing before me with her big brown eyes heavy with worry and her tiny chin quivering with cry. I said, "Like a nerd nerd? Like the candy?" She shook her worried head up and down vigorously.
"Well, Rae (insert exasperated sigh here), how did that happen? Did you shove it up your nose?"
"NO MOM! I was holding it and I put it near my nose and it just went up there!"
Ummm...are you kidding me! Does she really expect me to believe that? Let's be honest! She snorted the nerd to see what was going to happen and now it was stuck and she had to 'fess up!! Gotta love this kid for trying. I tried to "rub" it out by massaging her nose, but that was not happening. What am I supposed to do here? There is no book on what to do for children that have things stuck up their noses. Trust me, I have looked!

I told her to just go in the bathroom and try blowing her nose. As she walked out of the kitchen, I stole a glance at Craig who just shook his head with this smile. A minute or so later she came running in the kitchen, "Mom! I got it out!"
By this time all the color was off of it and it was just a sugar crystal. I asked her how she got it out and she said, "Well, mom, I just picked it out!" She said this proudly with a smile on her face which of course made me pee my pants in laughter.

One thing that I have definitely learned from my children is to expect the unexpected. That is one thing that I think I cherish the most about being a Momma. You never know what each day holds. Everyday is an adventure with these two monkeys, but it is all about my perception. When I started this blog it was meant to be fun and something that I could hand to my girls when they were Mommas and say, "See, we all go through it." But what it has given me, is the opportunity to look at each day and find my Laughable Moment. The nerd snort surely takes the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment