Friday, May 21, 2010

Dear Addison Grace...




You have been three years old for about 2 weeks now. Right now you are dressed in a green sparkly bodysuit and a pink Tutu dancing to Jonas Brothers on Good Morning America...oh wait...you just tripped over your own feet. I never said you were graceful, but you are beautiful. Your birthday this year came so fast and it was far different than any other you have had...in a good way. We spent it just the four of us and had a great day. You woke up to balloons and Birthday cake for breakfast like any other year, but instead of a big party (which your Momma loves!), we took you to a small carnival at the preschool you will be in next year. We met friends there and had a great time. That night I tucked you into your bed and heard Rae say, "Mom, how come she looks the same as yesterday?"
I said, "Rae we don't change over night, love. It is one day at a time."



I am not sure I believe that anymore. Yesterday, I wrapped you in a towel after your bath and carried you into my room. I laid you down and started to dry you off and you were giggling so hard. All the sudden you looked like a little lady to me and not my tiny baby girl. It took my breath away when I realized that my baby was no longer a baby anymore. You have your own ideas and opinions...your obvious own sense of style, and your own charm and grace. You are a joy to be with.

Three years and 2 weeks ago you came into this world on your own terms. Early and tiny, but strong and beautiful. Your middle name is Grace because you were just that to me....my Saving Grace at the time. I remember you being brought into my room and it was the first chance that I had had to hold you. I unwrapped you from your swaddling blanket even though the nurse said not to...you would be cold. I wanted to make sure you were ok and I wanted to see ever tiny bit of you. You were so little and petite, with dark soft hair and big eyes that you rarely held open for anyone except your sister...which she loved by the way. You were here and healthy I was relieved and in love.



At your sweet age, you have taught me so much. You have a passion and love for life. You play hard and love even harder. Just this morning Rae was on her way to school with daddy and you ran out because you had forgotten to hug and kiss her. You have a sweet and genuine heart and I so wish I had just a little bit of that sometimes. You are stubborn and mischevious...your mother and father's daughter no doubt. Your strong-will now shows me that with a little direction you are going to make such a wonderful wife, mother, and friend. I pray that you will see your gifts and use them to glorify.

I was a very different mom to you than your sister. I was more practiced and relaxed. I let you play in the dirt and become filthy with delight. I snuggled you longer before bed not concerned about what the books said to do and not to do. I let you go out in a princess dress and cowboy boots without batting an eye. Thank you for showing me that your heart can love beyond measure. Thank you for letting me hold you a little longer. Thank you for snuggling with me for just a second longer even though you would much rather be playing. Thank you for being you and for telling me daily that I am "the best mommy evewr."



Addison Grace, I love you and hope that your birthday and everday is full of love, laughter, and fun.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this and that sweet Addi! ! ! This was JUST what I needed to read this morning, its been a rough week and I needed a little tear of joy. You are an amazing Mother, Wife and Friend. We love and miss you guys so much! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great letter to your daughter! She may never know what her little life has done and what it helped to restore but God does. She is a wonderful little girl and we love her so very much.

    ReplyDelete