Saturday, December 19, 2009

Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!

Last night held our first true "sticky" snowfall since our move to MO. I was on my way to the grocery store when it really started to come down. Rae's squeals of excitement almost brought tears to my eyes as I realized what an awesome moment this was. One of the last childhood firsts she was was going to have and I was right there experiencing it with here. Her excitement was contagious as Addison started yelling, "It nowing, Momma! It nowing out deyer!" I said that I saw it in a voice that matched her high pitched giddiness. We pulled into the store parking lot and I started "dressing" the girls for the short walk from the car to the front door...complete with scarves, hat, and gloves. People can look at me and know that I am certainly not from here! I pulled the girls out and stood them next to the car while I reached in to grab my list, bag, ect. When I turned around I saw the girls with their faces lifted to the sky and their tiny tongues stuck out as far as they could go...even in that state you could see that they were smiling. I thought to myself...they have never lived in a place with snow so how did they know how delicious a snowflake caught with your tongue could be? I started to rush them off to go into the store and warm up when I stopped. I thought to myself...why not? I lifted my face to the sky and stuck out my tongue as far as it could go. Snowflakes tasted as wonderful as they did when I was a kid. Except that these particular MO snowflakes were much sweeter...because I was sharing them with my girls. When I had had my fill I look down at tiny Addison whose eyes were wide with amazement. She said in the sweetest southern accent, "Momma...the now is in my hayer." (keep in mind that "now" is "snow" in her language) Her cheeks were rosy and wet and she had little snowflakes on her long dark lashes. I smiled at her and picked her up and said, "I see that, Sassy! You look beautiful." Her response was, "Ank you, Momma Sheffield."
Merry Christmas, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment