Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Language of Love

It has been awhile since I last wrote. Took a little break to get my family well and nap from plenty of sleepless nights! But during this time I realized some things about my dear sweet husband. See, Craig has a knack of messing up phrases...for instance, when talking about his boss the other day and his decision to stop racing he asked me to "put himself in a shoe." I asked him if he meant, "put myself in his shoes." He said, "yeah, that too." Not so bad, right? Only one time. Then, while talking about work another day he stated that he was "going out on a whim." I sweetly asked him if he meant "going out on a limb." He looked at me, smiled a coy smile and said, "Well that is what we say in England." Ok, sure.

Then tonight while I was loading the dishwasher, putting away groceries, and listening to the girls yell for me from the bathroom that they were ready to be washed....all while my husband relaxed comfortably in the couch...I realized that he has a language all his own that goes far beyond messing up sayings. For example, when I ask him to take out the trash and he says, "in a minute." What he really means is, "No, I don't feel like it, but I will tell you in a minute so you will be quiet and then forget about it." Or...when I ask him to help put the groceries away and he says that he can't because our kitchen is so small he doesn't want to get in my way. Translation..."I don't wanna...I don't feel like it." Or when I ask him to read the girls a story before bed and he says, "Rae wanted to read the story to Addie tonight." What he doesn't know is that Rae talks...she'll tell me that Daddy suggested that she read to Addie for practice. There is plenty more...pretending like he is asleep and then fake waking up with this goofy sleepy look so I'll feel bad about waking him and do whatever it is I am asking him to do myself. Also, pretending he can't hear me because the girls are talking even though I am sitting right next to him...usally I am talking about our budget, bills, or something he needs to do like order new tires for his car.
There is some sweetness to his language as well. Like when he asks me when I coming to bed as he walks down the hallway to our bedroom every night. Translation...I don't want to go to bed alone because I love you. In every relationship there is such a thing as a language of love...little things that we each say or do that in a relationship become second nature to us. The good part is that we learn to read them, know them, and eventually love and laugh at them. As well as I know his language...he knows mine. He can read me a mile away knowing exactly what buttons to push and which ones to leave alone. There is a comfort in that. People always say that men are not mind readers and they certainly aren't..but they know their wives. They might not be able to read minds, but they sure understand our language. Momma's, when your husband is ignoring the baby's cry or fake sleeping when there is a diaper that needs changing...don't get frustrated. Be thankful that your relationship is at the point of comfort that you know his every move and he knows yours. Remembering that...the next time he is stranded in the bathroom without a roll of toilet paper....that may be the perfect time to catch a fake nap yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment